Job Description – Woodworker and Product Design Tutor
Renew Enterprises is a not-for-profit Social Enterprise operated by Treo Port Lairge CLG. It was established to create full-time employment for people who have been most distant from the labour market. Committed to social inclusion and social justice, the enterprise provides opportunities for its employees to learn, train and practice new skills and to experience working in a real time working environment. Those employed to work in Renew Enterprises gain qualifications, a job history and work references to help them move on to their own chosen careers.
Renew Enterprises provides a range of products and services for people in the local community and community organisations in the Waterford and South East area. These include:
- Bicycle repair & servicing
- Lawnmower & Small engine tool (Strimmers, Generators, Hedgecutters etc.) repair & servicing
- Kindling production
- Pallet furniture & Garden furniture production
- Delivering Training in Bicycle Mechanics
- Delivering Training in Four Stroke Engine Repair
Position of Renew Woodwork and Product Design Tutor
Location: Based at Unit 2, Block 4, Lacken Road Business Park, Kilbarry, Waterford
Accountable to: Renew Enterprises Manager
Rate: €33.50 per hour
Hours: 8 hours per week. The work is seasonal in nature and some flexibility is required.
Duration: 14 month fixed term contract
Probation Period: 3 Months
Duties of Renew Woodwork and Product Design Tutor
The duties of the Renew Woodwork and Product Design Tutor will be to
- Instill trade knowledge and trade practice
- Teach tradesman’s thought processes to progress from ideation to the final production
- Be responsible for the production and oversight of the production of wooden pieces
- Develop and create new products to widen Renew Enterprises’ product range
- Teach the theories of design, drawing and scaling
- Teach woodcraft theory e.g. joints, cabinet making etc.
- Train employees in material identification and selection (from supplier)
- Explain appropriate tool selection and use for both hand tools and power tools
- Ensure industry standard quality control at each stage
- Document materials requirements and manufacturing procedures in Furniture Manual for training and quality assurance purposes
- Create and maintain good customer and supplier relations
- Maintain Health & Safety Procedures, including SOPs
- Teach safe working methods for hand and power tools, including sharpening, storage and use of tools
- Ensure good stock control procedures
- Oversee the compiling of purchase orders, quotes etc.
- Establish a pricing system (wholesale and retail)
- Teach a variety of finishes
- Complete appropriate administration tasks as required
- Assist Manager in preparing reports
- Trade qualifications in carpentry, joinery and/or cabinet making essential
- QQI Level 6 Special Purpose Award in Training & Development or equivalent a requirement
- Manual Handling
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in woodworking skills
- Continued skills development
- A minimum of 3 years tutoring/mentoring experience
- Proven track record of teaching, adapting teaching style to suit the individual needs of the learner
- Previous experience of product design
- Computer literacy an advantage
- Full clean driver’s licence desired
Experience of working in a busy workshop environment a help. The ideal person needs to be reliable, experienced and friendly, and have good communication and teaching skills. Suitable candidates will be required to obtain Garda Clearance. The person must maintain confidentiality at all times.
Please email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com. The closing date for applicants is 2nd January 2021.
Please note that interviews for this position will be held the week beginning 11th January 2021.
This project was approved by Government with support from the Dormant Accounts Fund